If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (508) 533-5305

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Can Cooking Grease Cause Fires?

5/9/2023 (Permalink)

Green box with text and orange SERVPRO logo One common kitchen hazard is the risk of fires caused by cooking grease.

Cooking is a daily activity for many people, and while it can be a fun and satisfying experience, it can also be dangerous if proper safety measures are not taken. One common kitchen hazard is the risk of fires caused by cooking grease.

Cooking grease is the oil or fat that is left over after cooking, and it can be found in many different forms such as bacon grease, butter, vegetable oil, and more. This can also be a serious fire hazard if not handled properly.

The reason why cooking grease is so dangerous is that it is highly flammable. If the grease becomes too hot, it can ignite and start a fire. This can happen if you leave a pan on the stove unattended or if you overheat the grease while cooking.

To prevent cooking grease fires, it is important to take a few simple precautions:

  • Never leave hot grease unattended: When you are cooking with grease, it is important to stay in the kitchen and keep an eye on the pan at all times. If you need to step away, turn off the heat and remove the pan from the stove.
  • Use a splatter guard: A splatter guard is a mesh screen that is placed over the top of a pan to prevent hot grease from splattering out. This can help reduce the risk of a fire.
  • Keep a lid nearby: If a fire does break out, you should immediately cover the pan with a lid to smother the flames. This will help prevent the fire from spreading.
  • Store grease properly: After cooking with grease, it is important to store it in a safe and secure container. This can be a metal can or a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Never pour grease down the drain, as this can clog pipes and cause other problems.
  • Dispose of grease safely: When you are ready to dispose of the grease, wait for it to cool completely and then scrape it into a container that can be sealed. This can then be thrown away in the trash.

In addition to these precautions, it is also important to have a working fire extinguisher in the kitchen and to know how to use it. If the fire is too large or if you are not able to put it out, evacuate the building immediately and call 911.

SERVPRO Of Foxborough is The #1 Choice in Cleanup and Restoration for residential and commercial buildings’ fire, mold, water, and storm damage.

Other News

View Recent Posts